Bring Familiarity And Comfort To A New Home
- Choose a community that makes you feel at home.
When looking at different communities, take notice of how friendly the staff and residents are and how they are all interacting with one another. If it’s the right fit, you’ll feel warmly welcomed and at ease.
- Follow community guidelines. Once you’ve found the ideal community, an important first step is to check into any rules or recommendations the community has regarding changes to its apartments. This way, you’ll know about any restrictions up front as you or your loved one gets settled in.
- Plan furniture according to the apartment’s layout and square footage. Using our floorplans, you can measure furniture and decide what pieces will best fit in your new space, or determine new furniture you will want to find upon move-in.
- Bring touches from your former residence. You may find you’re able to set up certain areas in a way that reflects the former living space of you or your loved one. Especially in the bedroom sleeping area, using familiar bedding, furniture and decor can bring great comfort and help ease anxiety.
- Add photos and other memories. Every home needs sentimental touches to make it special. Framed photos of family, friends and personal experiences will not only make you or your loved one smile and reminisce on fond memories but also can help jumpstart conversations with new neighbors.
- Encourage new connections. Once you or your loved one get moved in, it’s time to enjoy all the wonderful social aspects of retirement living. By dining in common areas with other residents, taking part in community activities and visiting with neighbors, it’s easier to become more comfortable.
- Keep in touch. We are often “homesick” for people, not necessarily places or things, so it helps to welcome visitors once you or your loved one get settled in your new apartment. This is a great opportunity to show them around the community as well as introduce them to new friends and neighbors.
- Make new memories. Don’t forget you or your loved one will be living life to the fullest and certainly be making new memories. Perhaps paint some new décor in art class or take new photos to add to your collection. The more involved you or your loved one become at your new home, the more at home you will feel.
It’s natural to feel a little out of place in a new setting, but the team at Longleaf Liberty Park is always here to do whatever it takes to help you or your loved one feel at ease. Once you’ve put these tips into action, it will only be a matter of time until living in new community feels just like home.