How To Stay Connected To Your Loved One
At Longleaf Liberty Park, the family members of residents are considered a vital part of our welcoming community. Residents and staff alike at our community are always excited for the opportunity to get to know the families of other residents. Here are some ways to get involved:
- Facilitate opportunities for staff members get acquainted with your loved one. You can assist in helping community caregivers learn more about your loved one. By getting to know your loved one well, they are better able to understand their care – and more likely to notice changes in their health and well-being if any occur. This can be as simple as helping and encouraging your loved one to share about their experiences, family history, interests, likes and dislikes.
- Take time to visit with staff members and caregivers. Although your loved one’s care will certainly be your main priority, you’ll both enjoy learning about those around them at their new community. You’ll likely discover common ground by getting to know staff members and learning about their families, hobbies and aspirations.
- Get involved at the community. Senior living communities are typically very open to family involvement. If you’re able to take part in community events, you’ll meet even more of your loved one’s neighbors and caregivers. Family members with musical talents could volunteer to entertain residents on the piano or other instruments. Or you could find out about other volunteer opportunities, as well as family support groups. Stay up-to-date with community communications so you’re in the know – and can help your loved one to get involved themselves.
- Plan ahead for special occasions. Besides participating in community-hosted events, you can also plan your own events for or with your loved one. Arrange to bring in treats for their birthday or anniversary as an opportunity to interact with other residents and staff members. You may also be able reserve a private dining room or gathering space for a special meal or party.
- Schedule regular visits and communication. Above all, keeping in touch with your loved one gives them the comfort and confidence they need to find fulfillment at a new community. We understand it can be difficult for long-distance family members to feel involved – but it is possible. At Longleaf Liberty Park, we’ll help facilitate the involvement of family members in any way we can.